Thursday, February 14, 2008

Language and Technology

New adjustments in a language due to new technology create a problem of understanding especially for foreigners.
Back at school, in my country, I learned the traditional strict British English. I learned grammar, vocabulary but everything in old-fashioned way. Then, I came to the U.S. and I am totally lost in a maze of new expressions and shortcuts that do not make any sense to me. Technologies moved English to a different level. The textbooks I learned from when I was in High School are totally inapplicable today. Every new technology brings something new to language at the expanse of the old language. In business area, this is called an opportunity cost. You sacrifice one thing for another that you consider more useful. In other words, language looses that real contact with a person. For instance, through text message it is really hard to express your true feelings, but text messaging is useful, fast, and cheap way of communication.
The changes in language due to technology development looks like this:
Past – handwriting; more proper and whole sentences
Present - typing on laptops, space saving mostly formal way of communication through emails, messages, and phones
Future – a phone equals computer, just speaking automatic transference in to written form
Younger people better adapt to new technologies and thus better associate with language reforms, while older people have a hard time to understand these new approaches.

1 comment:

shauny said...

I was thinking that the advances in technology have also changed the music we listen to now a days. It's a lot different due to electric guitars and all the other advances. My mom cannot stand the music I listen to. she calls it "head hunter music." And yet, back in her day her parents said the same thing abuot her music. The music now may have a different beat, but most its content is the same.