Thursday, February 14, 2008

language and technology

Text messaging is the technology that gets me the most. I love it and I hate it. Many times I start to text someone or we are texting back and forth and then eventually just call them up. I enjoy talking with someone and hearing their voice, plus it's easier to express how I feel and I can do it more quickly and effectively. Also, I don't know all the text idioms so many times I get lost in the text that I'm reading. It takes me awhile to catch on. It's fun though.

Being able to use different rhealms of communication adds variety and in a way, I think you get more familiar with the modern english language. If you don't catch up with technology than you just might not catch up with the changes in language itself. I thought it funny how in Baron's piece, the mention of how e-mail started out in a sort of rebellion. Those who wanted to use conventionality in the e-mails did not get a positive response. E-mail with its rebellious use of the language has now formed rules that though not really conventional, they are, in their own context.

On Wednesday in class when we talked about "framing," I realized that the different avenues of technology that we use to get our thoughts across, frame what we have to say. I would never voice anything really serious in an e-mail, that's reserved for fun stuff. If I want to say something with depth and reall meaning I'll call someone up or talk to them face to face. You cannot recieve non verbal cues from paper or text messaging.

1 comment:

Prof Ron said...

Right, and this framing of a type of communication is a genre.