Friday, February 29, 2008

Technology and Human Interaction

The more technologically advanced our world becomes the less personal communication and interaction we have. It's amazing to me how much communication happens today without even opening our mouths.
My wife and I recently took a trip to New York and Boston. I was amazed after all the planning, buying the plane tickets, booking the hotels, reserving the rental car, finding the dates, locations and tickets for events, I didn't talk to a single person. I did everything online. The wonder of the Internet helped me do all this without expressing a single feeling or thought. Modern technology has provided us with so many powerful tools to fix our inconvenient lives. Sure I could have called a travel agency or contacted the hotels directly or even waited until I arrived. I know that it was my choice to plan the entire trip online and I will do it again. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it seems that we live in a world where everyone is connected, but no one is really saying anything.

3 comments:

Abby said...

We don't "talk" to each other any more. I recently had an argument with my mother through e-mail. a fight with a friend through text messages. and planned a party using blogging, text messages and e-mail. we still comunicate but we don't talk.

Unknown said...

Just the point I was trying to make. You have more control over the internet, you can skip over lines and only read what you want to, and you can say whatever you will, and the computer works as a protective barrier. It would seem that you don't have to take many risks anymore.

Anonymous said...

Yes I have to agree. There are times that I have had disagreements with friend over googletalk as ridiculous as that sounds, but it is the wave of the future and really i find myself talking with them more on the internet than even talking on the phone or texting.