Thursday, February 28, 2008

Language and Technology


Texting has to be the first thing I see in how technology influences language in my own life.  I even have caught some of my friends using some of the abreviations out loud in a person to person discussion.  I have to say though, I really didn't realize how major the web and Youtube was till this class.  In one of the digital ethnography clips a guy said we are all producers which at first I wasn't to sure of.  But as the more I see through examples from class, not only can anyone put clips of themselves on the web, but also help in adding new words and phrases to the world language as in Wikipedia.
After watching the "Web 2.0...The Machine is Us/ing Us" clip I don't know if its just because I'm "new" to this tech filled linguist world, but I do kinda fear that technology may take over everything and leave it open for people to be more enticed to copy-write and such. 

1 comment:

Micah said...

I have to admit that even as an English Major and a somewhat practiced orator, sometimes I prefer text messaging to a phone call or even a face to face. Certain communications which take literally one second via SMS can easily suck up 15-20 minutes in person or over the phone. When I need someone at one of my stores to do something, I can make the instruction appear instantly before their eyes. No small talk, no "how's the wife and kids", etc. But the inherent impersonality of such an interaction needs to be carefully weighed against the benefit, something which I suspect is seldom done.