Thursday, April 10, 2008

Symbols help you understand -- its true!

Interesting side note:

After the readings about 'banning' English, I happened to google Pluribus Unum, and I found some pretty cool sites. I got lost exploring
this one, its all about the original symbols used and experimented with and eventually decided on during our nation's formation. Then I got to thinking about symbols and how they are like the ultimate example of the power of images combined with words, especially since the symbols are meant to represent the core values and beliefs of an organization. The authors/choosers of these symbols must have spent long hours defining themselves and what they really stand for.

Also, maybe I'm just a religious kind of a gal, but my thoughts commonly turn to religious topics when doing the work for this class. I can't help but think about how important a thing symbolism is in religion. All religions. I did an ethnography on Hinduism last semester, and at first NOTHING made sense to me at all, but since I couldn't and wouldn't believe that Hindu's are just wierdos I had to look closer and the final argument I eventually made was about symbolism, and how important the use of symbols are for Hindus in understanding and performing their religion.

I would argue that its the same for all religions. So, those of you who are focusing on religious groups, take a look at what symbols are used and what they mean. Symbols mean a lot! Not that I have any authority to tell you what to do, I'm just hoping my suggestion will be helpful to those who need it. :) I'll do the same for my community if any symbols crop up.

No comments: