Sunday, April 13, 2008

The state of English

I think that making English the official language of the U.S. is such a silly idea.  As Baron points out: whose English do we make official?  Even once that's decided, the English language goes through so many transitions over short periods of time that it would be impossible to keep it in check.  Aside from this, what threat is English under to start with?!  

As far as the tax dollars for legislation and voting go, the federal government can't even account for FAR more money than goes into these things.  The argument here is not that it's moot, rather that there are bigger issues to be dealt with if you're concerned with what the government is spending money on!

I don't think the main issue for most Americans is that they have some sort of undying love for American English.  They probably don't even think that it's on the demise.  I truly think that the majority of Americans who want English to be the official language feel that way because of anti-immigration sentiment and/or because of racism.  If English is made the official language, there'd be a chance that fewer people will come to the US because it could be that much harder to get by.  To be clear, this is not my opinion, but the impression I get from others.

I can't understand leaving my homeland without knowing the language of the country I'm going to.  But I also can't understand the need to leave my country so much that language is my last concern.  Nothing is to be gained or lost by making English the official language of the US. 

If English does manage to go by the wayside, though.  I really hope that Latin is resurrected in it's stead.

No comments: