Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Extra 1:Technology and Language


Everybody has probably heard of websites like Myspace and Facebook. These websites enable people to share their life profiles with other people all around the world. By displaying personal photos, videos, and many other applications people present their daily life experience. Motto of Facebook is: "Facebook is a social utility that connects you with the people around you." This website forms a community of its users who inevitably enrich their vocabulary. People now use phrases like "tagging people", "adding friends", “poking friends”, "writing on the wall", and many others.
These kinds of website totally destroy an idea of a personal contact while making new friends. In past, there was not any "adding friends" but "making friends", in addition, nobody wrote on anybody's house wall in order to leave him or her a note. And the most typical example is phrase “poking friends”. Poking in real life is a physical action; however, in Facebook field it means send a hug, a kiss, or just simply a little notice to a friend.
Another influence of Facebook is that gossips that go around friends are now based on updating of Facebook profiles.
Facebook definitelly creates a new language that remarkably has influenced my life. Now, I employ more words like “status”, “tagging”, and “poking” among my friends who mostly use Facebook. This website is addictive. Why wouldn’t be? Once I post my pictures, I open access to other people to see my profile. Hence, I want to make sure that I know all the news and updates in regards to my profile and additionally profiles of my friends.

No comments: