Monday, April 21, 2008

More Thoughts

Just a side note, not really having to do with language, but definitely a lot to do with diversity and sub-cultures. First, I want to make it clear that I do not support polygamy in any way (my wife would have me killed) however, I do find there is a disparity in the subject.
With all the news swirling around the FLDS in Texas there has been a lot of attention on all polygamist compounds. I agree that if there is child abuse occurring then something should be done, but if there isn't shouldn't we just leave them alone? So many people that I have heard discussing the subject think that polygamy is so disgusting and everyone participating should be arrested, after all it is against the law right? I find the prejudice against these people somewhat unfair, considering that it can be argued that polygamy is just another lifestyle choice, just like homosexuality and co-habitation. Many people think that same sex marriage is only fair since they should be allowed the same rights as heterosexuals. Couldn't it be argued that polygamists should be allowed the same privileges? Why isn't there anybody arguing for the legalization of polygamist marriages? Why is is labeled close minded, prejudice, and homo-phobic, to disagree with homosexuality, but it is the norm to discriminate against polygamists? I just think that it's something to think about.

1 comment:

ben6 said...

Amen, bring polygamy back! No, just kidding. I've given this some thought too. And my theory is polygamy has not undergone a social destigmatization.

Media is a form of control, so the projection will be that polygamy remains stigmatized until the media portrays it in a positive light. The projection being sent out now if you watch some of the news are associations of polygamy with child abuse (e.g. Warren Jeffs), and tend to generally reinforce views of isolated, inbreeding, incestuous stereotypes, etc.