Monday, April 14, 2008

English in America

I found the articles interesting for this blog. What I believe is that you cannot make English the official language because there are just so many people that speak different languages. We as a country, are very diverse in our language.

The article that we read called, "Do you speak American?" brings up a very good point on the matter. It brings back thoughts to where I work at and how many people come through my line to pay for their things and how many of them are not able to speak english. It seems to me more than half of the people that come through are of other origin. Alot of them don't understand english and have either a child or someone else translate. This brings up the example of children who live in a home that are bilingual and their parents or caretakers speak a totally different language. I believe that we should leave the laws on language the way that they are and focus on different things that are much more important to the counrty's well being. I would love to learn spanish myself to improve the ways that I communicate.

No comments: