Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Gender and Language


http://www.pbs.org/speak/speech/prejudice/women/
Gender plays in language very important role. It sometimes can be source of prejudice and subject of stereotyping. There is a myth or maybe a stereotyping that says that women talk more than men. However, the truth is that men talk more than women. There have been many studies that have proved the point that male side of society is more talkative than the female side. In Janet Holmes article, there are shown many studies that definitely are a persuasive argument that contradicts the myth. I personally assume that the reason why people think that women talk more is because women’s arguments are really loud and powerful. They might not talk that much however when they say something it has a very prevailing meaning. On the other hand, coming out of the concept that women speak less, I think it is because they are not that confident. I personally have noticed it on myself. I am rather quiet if I am asked a question in class because one, I am scared that nobody will understand me for my accent, and two, because I am not really sure about my answer. I think it is hard for women to just make it up right away. There are two choices for women: they either know the right answer and they are definitely sure about the rightness of the answer, however they are still not confident to speak up, or they just slide down to their chair trying to be invisible. If they are asked for an answer, even though they do not know it they just say “I don’t know” and do not even try to come up with some filling.

No comments: